Carter's Quests

My name is Carter. I am a Finance/Accounting double major at the University of Central Florida with one year remaining. I am seeking direction in life. I am searching for happiness. I run. Follow my journey here.

Monday, July 31, 2006

iRun

I got a good start to the week (something that has been lacking the past few weeks) with a 2 mile run tonight. I'm still in need of a sportswatch, but using aproximate calculations I'm running around 9-minute miles so it is frustrating to get all hot and sweaty for a mere 18 minutes of running and a few minutes of walking. My legs definately felt like I have run at least another half mile, but due to a late dinner I was cramping towards the end of the run.

I took my 20gb iPod photo with me tonight to see if it would enhance my running enough to invest in an iPod Nano. I did enjoy the music, although holding the iPod in my hand and using the Apple headphones was not a pleasant experience. I honestly want the Nano solely for the Nike+ system, but the music can provide a nice boost of energy during a sluggish run like tonight.

I did kind of miss hearing my feet pounding the ground, and my rhythmic breathing keeping my pace consistent. There is something primal about running, something so humanly natural that it seems best enjoyed with only the open road out in front and a destination that is on the horizon, with every step taking me closer. Running at night is especially freeing, running down the center of dark streets with no peripherals guiding your sense of speed, I can simply put one foot in front of the other and know that eventually I will reach my destination.

August begins tomorrow, as does my first full month of running. My monthly mileage goal is 70 miles of running, and 50 miles of cycling cross training. My first 5k is also later in the month on August 20th at the Track Shack Celebration of Running, so overall a very exciting month.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~Lao Tsu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home