Carter's Quests

My name is Carter. I am a Finance/Accounting double major at the University of Central Florida with one year remaining. I am seeking direction in life. I am searching for happiness. I run. Follow my journey here.

Monday, August 21, 2006

First Race Report

Track Shack Celebration of Running
First 5K result:

Official Time 24:47
Net Time 24:29
Pace: 7:52.6
Divison: 20 out of 39
Overall: 296 out of 1369

Official Splits / Net Splits
7:50 / 7:32
7:50 (15:40) / 7:50 (15:22)
8:25 (24:05) / 8:25 (23:47)

Woke up around 5:50 and ate a Kashi bar and a piece of toast with 16 ounces of water, showered, dressed, stretched and was out the door around 6:40. My parents were nice enough to come along to cheer and we were met by Tyler and Mel (Brother and his wife), who rode their bikes to the race to cheer me on as well. Pre-race was uneventful as I was pre-registered, and thankfully avoided the registration lines which allowed me to take me time stretching and take in the race atmosphere. I found a place around in middle of the pack, and as the horn sounded I quickly made a move around the left side and found my stride...well until my shoe became untied about 2 minutes in to the race. I can only remember one time when this has ever happened while running, but I didn't think much of it, took my time to step off the course to re-tie.

First mile was faster than it felt at 7:50 (net 7:32) which I expected with this being my first race, but I felt good enough to push harder and hit mile two at 7:50...and well, this is where I got in trouble. I had to take two seperate walking breaks from mile two to three, due to a feeling that I might be seeing my Kashi bar again. The breaks were both short at 20-30 seconds each, but that almost cost me my goal time of sub-25. I came in the last .1 mile pushing as hard as I could, and after finishing, I really thought I was going to lose my stomach prompting me to wander around in the grass far from the finish line where I was joined by a few other participants who looked equally as spent (and queasy). Finished up the morning with some water, blueberry bagel and a banana before heading home.

Next up: Autumn Rock N' Roll 5k on September 30
Goal: Sub-23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home